Your car needs a clear fuel injector to run smoothly on the right amount of fuel mixture. However, the fuel injector can become dirty over time, which would result in clogging. Removing them to clean it sounds a great solution, but it can be a problem if not done properly.
Cleaning your car’s fuel injectors is important to keep the fuel system as good as new. If your old car isn’t running, idling, or running poorly, then a cleaning fuel injector might pave the way. If you have found the dreaded engine warning light and OBD scanner reads P02 (xx) or the car-mechanic’s talks about the fuel and air metering problem, then it is the sign that the injectors are clogged. The airflow in the fuel injectors has decreased, and now it needs cleaning. Don’t worry; we are here to help you to clean your car fuel injector properly.
Your fuel injectors have to perform the wonder of maintaining accurate fuel ratios every day. Fuel injector modification products are produced to keep your injectors in its best condition. To do this, Manufacturers use detergents that mix with the fuel in the tank to break down the deposits formed by gasoline traces. However, if the injectors are clogged, they need a complete physical cleaning.
Basics Of Cleaning The Fuel Injector
To learn how to clean the fuel injectors the right way, scroll down, and read below.
- Vehicle system: fuel supply system
- Estimated time required: 30 minutes to 1 hour
- Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate
When you are working with your car’s fuel system, it can become messy and dangerous. Obviously, nobody bothers to clean it, now don’t queue at Prodigy’s Firestarter. Here is the list of products you would need to keep yourself clean while avoiding eye and skin injuries.
- Nitrile gloves to protect hands from chemical solvents and fuel.
- Eye protection.
- T-shirt with long sleeves protects your arms.
- Mask or respirator to filter out vapors and odors.
All You Need Is:
Right below, we have compiled a list of what you would need in your toolbox to get the job done. You can thank us later.
List of Tools
- Wrench set (socket and standard)
- Air compressor (for cleaning kit)
- Fuel system cleaner
- Fuel injector cleaning kit and new injector O-rings
- Full set of new fuel injectors
You would need to park your car on a flat area such as the floor of a garage, driveway, or street parking, but make sure that you don’t break any local area laws while using the street. Work at a workplace that is adequately ventilated while using cleaning solvents.
By organizing your tools and equipment, you’ll save precious minutes waiting for your smart baby or four-legged helper to bring you sandpaper or a flashlight. This way, everything is easily accessible for you as well.
Here’s How To Clean Clogged Fuel Injectors
This is how to do it.
Cleaning The Injectors (For Beginners)
The fuel injection cleaners available in the market are capable of breaking down carbon deposits. These products are best to be used before serious injector problems could spring up.
- Pour the entire contents (or a specified amount) of the fuel system modification into a nearly empty fuel tank or as directed.
- Fill the tank with fuel (16-18 gallons or as directed).
- Repeat for each oil change period.
Are you done? Congratulations.
Injector Cleaning (For Intermediates)
- Refer to the instructions for the fuel injector cleaning kit.
- Remove the cap from the fuel injector tank.
- Fill the container with the recommended cleaning solution.
- Hang the cylinder under the hood in a suitable place above the engine.
- The fuel rail test port (read the repair manual if unsure).
- Using the correct adapter, connect the cylinder hose to the fuel rail test hole.
- Locate the fuel pump relay in the fuse box (refer to the repair manual if unsure).
- Disconnect the fuel pump relay, as shown.
- Connect the air supply to the canister’s airport.
- Adjust the regulated system pressure displayed on the gauge according to the instructions (usually a few kilograms below the normal working pressure in the fuel rail).
- Start the car.
- Wait until the entire solution has flowed through the fuel line, and the container is empty (5-10 minutes).
- Relieve the line pressure and disconnect the air supply.
- Disconnect the hose from the fuel line.
- Start the car.
- Done, the hero in the garage. Congratulations!
Replacing The Injectors (For Intermediates)
- Use Google or the appropriate car repair guide to find out where the fuel injectors are.
- Allow the engine to cool completely.
- Remove all parts that could obstruct access to the injectors.
- Set aside all removed components and related hardware.
- Disconnect the cable connector on each injector.
- Locate and disconnect the fuel line from the fuel rail.
- Pull the fuel injectors out of the fuel rail (watch out for fuel leaks).
- Lubricate the seals of the new injectors with fresh gasoline.
- Insert new fuel injectors into the fuel rail.
- Reinstall the fuel rail and make sure it is properly aligned.
- Reconnect the fuel line to the fuel rail.
- Connect the cable connectors to the injectors (make sure they fit).
- Turn the key to the accessory position for 30 seconds to activate the fuel pump.
- Start the car.
Are you done? Congratulations.
Tips From A Professional
Over the years, our car enthusiasts have gone all out and seen it all, buying, selling, and reviewing almost every car on the planet. We tore, ripped, and repaired a wide range of car models, including those in need of a good fuel system. Here are our top tips for making sure that your car is running properly.
- If you’re planning to keep your car inside the garage for a long time, consider using a fuel stabilizer additive to save everything for your next ride.
- Most modern cars have very complicated injection systems; after consulting Google or this guide, which we talked about earlier, it might be time to call a professional.
Life Hacks On How To Prevent Clogged Fuel Injector
Since you may not have access to the right tools or have a friend to hang out with, we’ve also compiled a list of our top hackers to make your life easier and save your hard-earned money.
- Buying the right fuel will ensure that your car’s injectors are working clean. Logical and Simple.
- After a few years, drop the fuel system cleaner, and you’ll see a world of differences.
If the injectors are severely clogged, you must consult a mechanic. Deep cleaning is a process that requires skills to deal with hazardous solvents to clean the fuel injectors. Ultrasonic vibrations, followed by high-pressure scrubbing, fluid blasting, and replacement of rubber seals, are often used to break up deposits. If you are dealing with the problem at this point, then we would recommend you to replace the injectors completely.