Every car owner knows how easy it is for water to wreak havoc on the vehicle’s surface and cause considerable damage that is notoriously difficult and expensive to repair later. Paintwork is known to suffer the most, as it’s the first vehicle’s part to come in contact with water drops. As a consequence of frequent water exposure, the paint’s protective layer gets damaged, which leads to stain formation, loss of shine, rust, and oxidation.
In order to avoid these problems altogether, it’s vital to know which car care products to use. Hydrophobic coatings are specifically designed to deal with such issues. They form a thick protective coating designed to stave off damage caused by water, dirt, grime, UV rays, chemicals, and other contaminants.
Choosing the best hydrophobic coating solution is not an easy feat, no matter whether you’re a detailing professional or a car enthusiast, so we’ve decided to help you out and offer you a ready-made list of the top ten hydrophobic coating solutions in the year 2020.
What to look for in a quality hydrophobic coating?
When it comes to making a decision about which hydrophobic coating to purchase, it’s wise to assess all the qualities a product should possess in order to be considered a good pick.
Apart from the product’s ability to keep water at bay and prevent water stains, marks, and spots, there are four other characteristics you should keep an eye on when looking for an exceptional coating solution that will exceed your expectations.
1. Superior Protection And Strength
Aim for a ceramic coating that uses the latest, state-of-the-art nanotechnology and is enriched with a 9H hardness rating. Such formulation helps protect against harsh pollutants, environmental contaminants, and man-made damage. Since coatings create a protective barrier that acts as a repellent and blocks water, dirt, grime, chemical contaminants, bird drops, and UV sun rays, the barrier should be as strong as possible for the best results.
As you probably already know, the paintwork is not the only one that gets affected by weathering and contaminants. Other surfaces, including wheels, plastic trim, windows, vinyl wraps, and headlights get exposed as well. That’s why it’s a good idea to choose a coating solution that has the ability to bond to various porous surfaces.
A long-lasting hydrophobic coating reduces your overall car maintenance expenses and saves you from having to spend every other afternoon in your backyard or a garage in an effort to keep your vehicle protected at all times.
Each hydrophobic coating solution should be user friendly and suitable to be used by both detailing professionals and complete beginners.
Reviews Of The Top 10 Hydrophobic Coating Solutions For 2020
Explaining the Ranking System
There are four ranking criteria we used when choosing our favorites – product quality, presentation, customer feedback, and overall value.
1. Product quality
One of the most important things to look for when purchasing a hydrophobic coating for cars and other vehicles and vessels is product quality. This is determined by taking a closer look at the ingredients used in the product’s formulation – the quality of the ingredients, their percentage and ratio, as well as their chemical stability affect the overall quality, performance, effectiveness, and durability of the product in question.
The way a product or a kit is presented, or in other words the quality and design of the packaging together with its contents, plays an important role in determining the overall value of that particular product.
3. Customer feedback
Reviews that contain both negative and positive customer feedback reveal a lot about the product, its strong points, as well as possible drawbacks.
4. Overall value
Overall value combines all the factors mentioned above with the price and in that way determines the average high worth of every product.
It should be noted that the prices mentioned in the review are those found at the time of writing this 2020 Buyer’s Guide. Please check the individual product pages below to find out the latest product prices.
Armor Shield IX Nano Ceramic Coating
Armor Shield IX Nano Ceramic Coating by AvalonKing is the ultimate DIY hydrophobic coating that can be found on the market, as well as the best-selling product among professionals and car enthusiasts alike. This outstanding coating solution uses state-of-the-art nanotechnology to provide unparalleled protection and additional strength. What’s more, Armor Shield IX offers superior shine to your vehicle, giving it that “brand new” look throughout the year.
Armor Shield IX has many amazing properties thanks to which the product earned its excellent reputation. First off, this coating solution offers powerful superhydrophobic properties that are sure to keep any water at bay, preventing the appearance of watermarks, guarding against water erosion, and keeping the paintwork of your vehicle intact. In addition, Armor Shield IX is designed to protect against harmful UV rays, acid rain, graffiti, scratches, bird dropping, dust, dirt, and grime. Such characteristics are exactly what those looking to retain the value of their vehicle are looking for.
Armor Shield IX Nano Ceramic Coating comes in a neatly packed kit that consists of a 30ml bottle of Armor Shield IX, three applicator suedes, an application sponge, a microfiber buffing towel, and a pair of professional nitrile gloves. Thanks to its contents, this DIY kit is great for an average weekend car enthusiast who seeks a reliable coating solution that is super easy to apply.
Also, regardless of the size of your vehicle, this ceramic coating has got you covered. Applicable to regular cars, motorbikes, SUVs, or trucks, Armor Shield IX will provide long-lasting protection at an affordable price.
Why It's Our Top Pick
1) Product Quality: Thanks to its premium properties and complex formula, Armor Shield IX Nano Ceramic Coating is the top-rated product among consumers worldwide. It forms a durable high-gloss protective coating on your vehicle which, if properly applied, lasts between 2 and 5 years.
2) Presentation: The product comes in luxury packaging, specifically designed to give off that high-end feel. The product bottle looks elegant and everything that is included in the kit is carefully packed to avoid getting damaged when shipped.
3) Customer Feedback: With more than 2000 positive reviews found on the AvalonKing website and an overall rating of 4.8 out of 5, it’s safe to say that this hydrophobic coating solution is loved by many. Satisfied customers usually emphasize the product’s quality, ease of use, and deep gloss it provides.
4) Overall Value: Another great aspect of this product is its price. With only $69.99 per kit, you get a high-quality product that can give you up to 5 years of premium protection, which is truly a great value for your money.
Here Are The Facts:
- Armor Shield IX has outstanding hydrophobic coating characteristics.
- It is suitable for cars, motorcycles, SUVs, and trucks.
- Offers volume discounts - while one kit costs $69.99, two kits are $104.99, and three kits come at an amazing price of $139.99.
- Free worldwide shipping is offered for purchasing 2 or more kits.
CQuartz TiO2 by CarPro is a ceramic quartz paint protection solution that is suitable for all detailers, including novice ones. The product has all the qualities of a professional ceramic coating solution, but it is much easier to apply. When applied according to the instructions, it prevents damage and stain formation caused by water, extreme temperatures, abrasion, acid rain, dirt, and grime.
Due to its impressive hydrophobic characteristics, CQuartz TiO2 protects your vehicle’s paintwork from water-induced stains, spots, and marks, while keeping the surface shiny. Along with the paint, this hydrophobic solution can be applied to wheels, as well as metal, plastic, and chrome surfaces.
Why It's Our Second Pick
1) Product Quality: CQuartz TiO2 is formulated with TiO2 nano-particles and 70% Quartz with 99.9% purity, ensuring great protection, effectiveness, durability, and shine. Also, the company uses an advanced formula that helps prolong the product’s life.
2) Presentation: The packaging is well-designed and, besides the product itself, includes an applicator and 5 microfiber cloths.
3) Customer Feedback: More than 450 customers have left their opinion about the product in the review section. With a rating of 4.5, and over 70% of satisfied users, no wonder CQuartz TiO2 is one of our favorite products.
4) Overall Value: CQuartz TiO2 kit containing a 30 ml bottle costs $60.99, whereas the one containing a 50 ml bottle is $78.99, which seems to be a good value for your money.
ZR53 Nano Ceramic Coating
Thanks to its superhydrophobic properties and durability, ZR53 Nano Ceramic Coating by Nasiol found its way on our best hydrophobic coating for cars list. Nanotechnology used for this product is sure to guard your vehicle’s paintwork, bumpers, rims, headlights, piano blacks, and plastic trims.
What’s more, ZR53 gives vehicles a great-looking, shiny gloss and 9H anti-scratch protection that can last up to 3 years. This ceramic coating can be used for cars, motorcycles, trucks, and aircraft. The only drawback is the price - with $119.90 per bottle, it can be said that the product is on the more expensive side.
Why It's Our Third Pick
1) Product Quality: Thanks to its multi-layer technology and the ability to become crystalized only at nano-level, this coating remains flexible, while providing strength and durability and ensuring excellent protection. Also, it is resistant to ph13 detergents and provides a long-lasting shine that keeps your vehicle looking great for an extended period of time.
2) Presentation: Nasiol ZR53 comes in a durable red box, together with some application pads and polishing cloths. The bottle might seem small at first but it will get the job done. However, there are some complaints concerning unclear and vague operating instructions.
3) Customer Feedback: The product has both positive and negative reviews, but the overall rating score of 4.3 reveals that the users are generally satisfied. Besides imprecise operating instructions, customers mostly complain about the high price.
4) Overall Value: The kit that contains a 50 ml product bottle is currently sold at a price of $119.90, which does seem a bit expensive.
EXOv4 Ultra Durable Hydrophobic Coating
EXOv4 Ultra Durable Hydrophobic Coating by GTechniq is a hydrophobic solution that is engineered to protect all vehicle surfaces against damage caused by water, sun rays, dirt, grime, road salt, and wash chemicals. The product forms a thick, highly resistant protective layer that gives the vehicle a glossy finish.
EXOv4 is very easy to apply, which means it will work for those not so experienced car enthusiasts as well. This superhydrophobic car coating is considered to be a durable solution that will keep your vehicle protected between 18 and 24 months before it needs to be reapplied.
Why It's Our Fourth Pick
1) Product Quality: EXOv4 is one of the major innovations in the Last Surface Protection (LSP) technology. Its carefully curated ingredients will help you maintain your vehicle and protect its surface. However, note that the best results are achieved only when this coating is combined with other GTechniq products.
2) Presentation: EXOv4 is sold in a nice clear bottle that comes in a red box with printed information concerning product performance and operating instructions.
3) Customer Feedback: There are almost 40 positive customer reviews, 85% of them 5-star ratings, with users explaining what they liked the best about the products. Images are included too.
4) Overall Value: A 30 ml bottle of EXOv4 is sold for $65.84, whereas a 50 ml bottle costs $98.85, which seems a bit pricey but if we take into account all the stellar reviews the overall value seems to be good.
53409 Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating
53409 Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating by Turtle Wax, a familiar brand to all detailing professionals and car enthusiasts, is a high-quality, effective, and easy-to-apply product that has stellar reviews. Thanks to its SiO2 polymers and excellent hydrophobic properties, this coating solution protects against damage caused by water, chemicals, and other contaminants.
In addition, this product provides a mirror-like gloss and keeps water spots from forming on the vehicle’s surface. However, there is a slight disadvantage when it comes to the reapplication time - the effect wears off after 12 months, so this ceramic spray coating needs to be reapplied yearly.
Why It's Our Fifth Pick
1) Product Quality: 53409 Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating uses high-quality SiO2 polymers to achieve reliable protection and excellent performance. As the product is suitable to be applied to glass surfaces, it’s often used as a quality hydrophobic glass coating solution.
2) Presentation: This hydrophobic spray coating comes in a quality spray bottle of a contemporary design, enriched with recognizable hues of green.
3) Customer Feedback: There are over 4300 customer reviews available, and the overall score this product has is 4.7. There are plenty of before and after images included in the reviews, accompanied by detailed descriptions of the product itself, packaging, application instructions, and performance.
4) Overall Value: A 16 fl. oz. costs $14.97, which is great for those looking for a cost-effective solution. However, don’t forget that one bottle lasts for around 12 months.
Handcrafted Car Care Ceramic Wax PRO
Handcrafted Car Care Ceramic Wax PRO by Ethos is a hydrophobic coating protection solution ideal for those who are more of traditional wax supporters. The product is said to be more durable than any polymer sealants or carnauba waxes, with a 10 times longer service life and long-lasting results.
The application is easy, which makes this ceramic solution great for all detailing beginners out there. It is suitable to be used for motorcycles, cars, RVs, and boats. The product is designed to give the vehicle a hydrophobic finish, leaving the surfaces slick and shiny. Moreover, Ceramic Wax PRO forms a thick protective layer that prevents damage caused by environmental pollutants, water, corrosion, oxidation, and UV rays.
Why It's Our Sixth Pick
1) Product Quality: Handcrafted Car Care Ceramic Wax PRO is a high-quality aerospace graded sealant, with specially patented Teflon Raisins that protect your vehicle’s surface from environmental contaminants and weathering. Although the product is technically a wax, its characteristics place it in a ceramic coating category.
2) Presentation: Ethos decided to use a sleek, well-designed, easy-to-use, and quality bottle for product packaging.
3) Customer Feedback: With nearly 1500 customer reviews and a total score of 4.7, Handcrafted Car Care Ceramic Wax PRO is definitely among the top-rated sealants on the market.
4) Overall Value: The price for this product is $27.97, and if the effects really last around 3 years, this appears to be a very good value for money.
Adam’s UV Ceramic Paint Coating
Adam's UV Ceramic Paint Coating by Adam’s Polishes is among the latest nanocrystalline coatings engineered to provide great water beading, durability, strength, and mirror-like gloss. Thanks to state-of-the-art technology, the product protects your vehicle’s surface against damage caused by UV rays, weather, water, chemicals, dirt, grime, and other pollutants.
In addition, this ceramic coating is extremely easy to apply as it makes use of the patent-pending Ceramic Glow Technology. The company offers a 110% satisfaction guarantee, and the product is said to last over 5 years if applied properly.
Why It's Our Seventh Pick
1) Product Quality: With 9H hardness, extreme hydrophobic properties, latest technology, and excellent protection, Adam's UV Ceramic Paint Coating has a well-deserved place on our list.
2) Presentation: The kit is very impressive and contains a 50 ml UV Paint Coating Bottle, 4 oz Ceramic Boost, 4 oz Surface Prep, pair of gloves, 2 micro silk applicators, 2 surface prep towels, and 2 removal towels.
3) Customer Feedback: More than 200 people have shared their customer experience and the product received a lot of positive reviews. However, some complain that the product is not that easy to apply and that it requires previous experience. The overall score is 4.6 out of 5.
4) Overall Value: The price depends on the option you choose - you can purchase a 50ml bottle for $68.00, a Ceramic Paint Kit for $73.80, or a UV Complete Kit for $89.25. Although it is quite expensive, the kit itself is good value for money if we take into account all the things it contains.
Deep Gloss 9H Car Ceramic Coating
Deep Gloss 9H Car Ceramic Coating is a highly-effective superhydrophobic coating solution developed by Color N Drive. The product forms a thick protective coat on the vehicle’s surface that guards against water damage, UV sun rays, bird drops, and scratches. What’s more, after applying it, you are met with a self-cleaning, anti-calcium, deep, shiny gloss.
As this coating uses the latest 9H nanotechnology, your vehicle’s surface should stay flawless for up to 5 years, which is pretty impressive. However, it should be noted that many reviewers stated that the product does not last nearly as long and is not at all easy to apply.
Why It's Our Eighth Pick
1) Product Quality: Deep Gloss 9H Car Ceramic Coating is a quality product that offers 9H hardness, 3D deep gloss, and self-cleaning nanobionic technology, known for its hydrophobic and antifouling properties.
2) Presentation: This ceramic coating kit comes in an elegant black box and contains the following: a 50 ml bottle of the ceramic coating, a 150 ml pretreatment bottle, application sponges, pair of gloves, and two microfiber cloths for spreading and polishing.
3) Customer Feedback: There are slightly over 600 unique customer reviews that detail their impressions and hands-on experience with the product. The overall score is 4.2 out of 5.
4) Overall Value: Deep Gloss 9H Car Ceramic Coating kit can be purchased for a price of $59.90 - a great value if the product truly lasts for around 5 years.
Recharge Ceramic Coating
Recharge Ceramic Coating by HydroSilex is a flagship product that is designed to protect any exterior surface type by creating a thick protective barrier that repels water, dirt, grime, and other pollutants and harmful elements. It is formulated to last for around 6 months and easy application makes it a great DIY coating solution.
This hydrophobic coating for cars and other vehicles gives a great glossy finish to paintwork, rubber, plastic, and vinyl. Thanks to its anti-oxidation, anti-corrosion, and UV protection characteristics, this hydrophobic spray keeps your exterior surfaces looking brand new. The only drawback, however, is the fact that you need to use it every 6 months if you want to ride to look good at all times.
Why It's Our Ninth Pick
1) Product Quality: Recharge Ceramic Coating uses advanced ceramic technology and high-quality ingredients that allow it to form a protective layer that keeps any contaminants, including water, at bay.
2) Presentation: The product bottle has an interesting, transparent, contemporary design, whereas the product itself is pink. The nozzle makes the application process easy and quick.
3) Customer Feedback: More than 1000 customers left their review, often accompanied by images, and the overall rating score is 4.4.
4) Overall Value: As the product bottle comes in different sizes - 8 oz, 16 oz, 32 oz, and 128 oz, the prices differ as well and are $22.99, $34.99, $57.00, and 199.99, respectively. It does seem a bit pricey, especially considering the short reapplication time.
PRO Ceramic Coating
PRO Ceramic Coating by Nano Bond is a care kit for your vehicle that is suitable to be used by both detailing professionals and complete beginners. Its super hydrophobic formula enables it to act as a water repellent, which prevents water stains from forming.
What’s more, this ceramic coating offers protection against rust, acid rain, chips, scratches, fading, dust, and paint transfer. Since it can last for up to three years, it is considered to be a fairly durable coating solution. Once applied to the vehicle’s surface, it leaves a mirror-like glossy finish.
Why It's Our Tenth Pick
1) Product Quality: PRO Ceramic Coating uses an advanced technological formula that includes more than 80% of pure SiO2 and gives 9H hardness, ensuring your vehicle surface stays protected even when exposed to a wide range of contaminants.
2) Presentation: The kit comes in a sleek, well-designed box that contains 1 30 ml bottle of PRO Ceramic Coating, an application sponge, a microsuede applicator, a pair of gloves, and a microfiber cloth.
3) Customer Feedback: Slightly over 400 people have left their review of the product, and the average score is 4.4 out of 5.
4) Overall Value: With the price of $36.90 per kit, and good product characteristics, we’d say that the overall value is quite good.
Considering a wide selection of hydrophobic coating solutions that can be found in the market today, it wasn’t easy for us to choose the top 10 products to include in our 2020 Buyer’s Guide. To make things less difficult, we came up with a ranking system that allowed us to choose those brands that strive to exceed the expectations of their customers. The only thing left for you to do is to pick a product you believe is the best fit for your individual needs and budget.