Rust can wreak havoc on your vehicle and cause serious harm if ignored. Not only does rust degrades your car’s appearance, but it also damages the entire body of your car and increases the wear and tear rate, which ultimately reduces the value of your vehicle.
However, there is a solution that can help you avoid this problem altogether – car rust protection. By investing in a quality rust prevention solution, you keep your car safe from oxidation, corrosion, and rust, as well as maintain your vehicle’s appearance.
Since there’s an abundance of car rust protection products available on the market, it’s important to choose the one that’ll be a perfect fit for your vehicle. To make things easier, we decided to put together a list of the ten best products out there that will surely satisfy your needs.
Let’s take a look!
What Are the Benefits of Car Rust Protection?
There are four major benefits of using a reliable rust prevention solution:
1) Saves You Money
Rust can cause serious damage to your vehicle and the removal process tends to get very expensive. That’s why it’s best to nip the problem in the bud before it becomes a financial challenge that’s difficult to handle. Using a quality rust protection solution allows you to rustproof your vehicle and keep the rust from forming in the first place.
2) Maintains the value of your car
Rust causes deterioration of your vehicle’s surface, which leads to a decrease in its overall value. Keeping your car rust-free and looking brand new will help you maintain the resale value of your vehicle.
3) Reduces wear and tear
Protecting your car against rust slows down the process of wear and tear, which results in extended service life and enables your car to run smoothly for a prolonged period of time.
4) Reduces Accident Rates
Using rust protection products ensures that all parts of your vehicle are kept in check and are working properly, which improves safety, reduces mechanical failure, and minimizes the chances of road accidents.
What Are the Different Types of Rust Protection Products?
Just as the name suggests, inhibitors are engineered to prevent rust from forming on all types of metal surfaces. They are designed to inhibit the process of oxidation, which leads to rust formation. Rust inhibitors should be used as a preventative measure, especially in wet environments that need serious rustproofing, and they should be applied to surfaces that are not affected by rust.
Removers are designed to be applied directly to the rust-affected areas and they are powerful enough to remove the existing rust. By bonding with rust, these products create a substance that becomes easy to rinse off with nothing more than a little soap and water. What’s more, rust removers can be used as inhibitors as well.
Primers are specifically designed to form a lasting bond between the surface they are applied to and the paint that comes on top. They enable you to paint directly over the treated surface and usually have great rust-prevention properties that help keep the surface well-protected and rust-free.
The Best Car Rust Protection Products For 2020
Explaining the Ranking System
When evaluating car rust protection products we decided to focus on the following four elements:
1. Product quality
The quality of the product is one of the most important aspects of any car care product designed to prevent rust. It determines the level of performance, effectiveness, and longevity of the product in question, as well as its ability to prevent oxidation, rust, and corrosion. These properties greatly depend on the quality of the ingredients used, their ratio, the effectiveness of formulation, as well as the technologies used in making the product.
The way a product is designed, the type of packaging it uses, together with colors and materials used when making the bottle reveals a lot about the product itself, as well as the brand behind it.
3. Customer feedback
Nothing can tell us more about a product than customer reviews, both positive and negative ones. If a significant number of users expresses their satisfaction with a certain product, it’s probably worth trying it out.
4. Overall value
When all of the above-mentioned aspects are combined with the product price we can determine the actual worth of every product.
Please note that every price mentioned in this guide is the one we were able to find at the time of writing this review. Visit the individual product pages found below to find out the current prices.
Armor Shield IX Nano Ceramic Coating
Armor Shield IX Nano Ceramic Coating by AvalonKing is one of the top-rated coating solutions available today, characterized by flawless performance, high effectiveness, extreme durability, and extraordinary rust protection. This ceramic coating is formulated with the ingredients of the highest quality and made with the help of the latest nano technology to ensure the best possible performance even under the most demanding conditions.
Once Armor Shield IX Nano Ceramic Coating is applied to the surface, it fills in all the existing imperfections and creates a strong, thick protective layer that prevents rust, oxidation, corrosion, water erosion, and water stains. In addition, this powerful coating solution protects against bird droppings, UV rays, graffiti, dust, dirt, acid rain, road grime, and minor mechanical damage like scratching.
Besides its outstanding protective properties, Armor Shield IX Nano Ceramic Coating provides a mirror-like gloss that’ll boost the appearance of your vehicle and increase its resale value. Even though this is a professional grade product, it’s extremely easy to apply, which makes it a perfect DIY protection solution that’ll help you keep your vehicle looking brand new and rust-free for up to 2 years.
Armor Shield IX Nano Ceramic Coating is a versatile car detailing product and can be used to protect vessels, cars, SUVs, trucks, RVs, and motorcycles. Also, it’s suitable to be used on a variety of surfaces, including metal, plastic, paint, chrome, wheels, PPF, vinyl wraps, glass, and carbon fiber. Such product characteristics ensure that no matter what type of vehicle you have or what kind of surface you need to protect, this coating will have you covered.
Why It's Our Top Pick
1) Product Quality: Armor Shield IX Nano Ceramic Coating uses a complex formula that contains 84% of SiO2 to ensure unparalleled protection and longevity of the coating. Also, advanced technology and quality ingredients provide the high performance this product is known for.
2) Presentation: The product comes in a quality, well-designed, and elegant packaging that keeps the solution safely stored and prevents possible spillage. Armor Shield IX Nano Ceramic Coating DIY kit has everything you might need to apply the coating and includes a 30ml bottle of Armor Shield IX, a pair of professional gloves, 3 applicator cloths, an application sponge, and a microfiber buffing cloth.
3) Customer Feedback: With a product ranking of 4.8 out of 5, this ceramic coating solution is the highest-rated product on our list. More than 2,000 customers left their feedback and many users shared very detailed reviews praising the product’s quality and performance.
4) Overall Value: The entire kit can be found at a price of only $69.99, which is definitely worth the investment considering all the product characteristics and everything the kit includes.
Here Are The Facts:
- Armor Shield IX is a premium product that offers excellent performance.
- It provides top-notch, long-lasting rust protection.
- It is the best customer-rated product on the market.
- If you purchase more than 1 kit, you get free worldwide shipping.
Boeshield T-9 Waterproof Spray Lubrication
Boeshield T-9 Waterproof Spray Lubrication developed by The Boeing Company is an anti-corrosion lubricant designed to penetrate moving parts and cracks, remove old lubricant and dirt residue, and dissolve any rust and corrosion. Besides outstanding protection against corrosion, this product forms a thick waterproof lubrication film that sticks to metal surfaces and provides long-lasting protection.
Boeshield T-9 Waterproof Spray Lubrication is safe to use on all types of metal surfaces, as well as plastic, vinyl, rubber, paint, and fiberglass. Due to its performance, this product is suitable for a wide range of automotive, marine, and aviation applications. In addition, it’s user friendly and easy to apply, which makes it a great DIY car rust protection spray.
Why It's Our Second Pick
1) Product Quality: Boeshield T-9 Waterproof Spray Lubrication is characterized by impressive lubrication, waterproof, and anti-corrosion properties. It is a highly efficient product known for its remarkable performance.
2) Presentation: The product comes in a well-designed, white spray can with a nozzle for easy application.
3) Customer Feedback: There are more than 1,700 ratings left by mostly satisfied customers, and the product ranks 4.7 out of 5.
4) Overall Value: The product is priced at $16.60 and offers a pretty good value for money.
WD-40 Long Term Corrosion Inhibitor Spray
WD-40 Long Term Corrosion Inhibitor Spray is an anti-rust coating engineered to offer excellent protection in moist, humid, and other corrosive environments. Rated as one of the best rust inhibitor products out there, this car rust protection spray creates a lubricating, non-drying layer that binds to the surface and offers durable corrosion protection.
WD-40 Long Term Corrosion Inhibitor Spray offers excellent rust protection to your vehicle and one application can last for around 2 years when used on indoor surfaces, or 1 year when the product is applied to outdoor surfaces. The product is easy to use and great for various vehicles, tools, and equipment.
Why It's Our Third Pick
1) Product Quality: WD-40 Long Term Corrosion Inhibitor Spray uses quality ingredients, effective formulation, and the latest technologies to offer great performance and durable protection.
2) Presentation: The packaging is colorful and eye-catching, and the nozzle helps direct the spray to the desired areas, which results in a more controlled application.
3) Customer Feedback: The product rating is 4.7 and many customers left positive feedback after using this corrosion inhibitor spray.
4) Overall Value: Whereas a 6.5 oz bottle costs $9.89, a 6-pack can be purchased for $50.65, which is definitely a great deal.
VHT Rust Convertor
VHT Rust Convertor is a specialty product that can be applied directly to the corrosion-affected area in order to destroy the existing rust. In case you apply it to a clear surface, it will create a protective coating with the purpose to prevent rust from forming in the first place. Once applied, leave it for 24 hours to dry and you will get a smooth, flat finish.
VHT Rust Convertor can be applied to paint blisters, rocker panels, body filler, fiberglass, and virtually all metal surfaces in order to prevent or completely stop rust on cars. For the best results, leave it to dry completely before applying the topcoat.
Why It's Our Fourth Pick
1) Product Quality: VHT Rust Convertor is a high-performance car rust protection product that is formulated with high-quality ingredients for the best possible protection.
2) Presentation: The spray bottle is sturdy and enables safe storage and shipping of the product, as well as ease of use.
3) Customer Feedback: Over 1,200 customers have left their feedback so far, and the product is ranked 4.4 out of 5.
4) Overall Value: A 10.25 oz bottle of VHT Rust Convertor can be purchased for $13.60, whereas a 6-pack comes at a price of $44.34. All in all, this is a good-quality, reasonably-priced product that makes your money’s worth.
Permatex 81849 Rust Treatment
Permatex 81849 Rust Treatment is an anti-corrosion coating that removes the existing rust and prevents the new one from forming. When the product is properly applied to the surface, it forms a black polymer layer that has impressive anti-rust properties. This layer acts as a protective primer on top of which you can apply paint.
Permatex 81849 Rust Treatment is easy to apply and it takes just a few minutes for the product to start working. This DIY car rust protection spray is specifically engineered to be applied to body filler and fiberglass, as well as to be suitable to be used in various automotive, marine, and heavy-duty applications.
Why It's Our Fifth Pick
1) Product Quality: Permatex 81849 Rust Treatment is a highly-effective anti-corrosion product that destroys rust on contact and prevents the formation of new rust, thus providing excellent protection.
2) Presentation: This rust treatment comes in a blue spray bottle that is designed to prevent spillage and keep the product safely stored.
3) Customer Feedback: There are 654 global ratings available for this product and its average score is 4.4.
4) Overall Value: A 10.25 oz bottle of Permatex 81849 Rust Treatment is sold for $8.49, which seems like a reasonable price.
Corroseal Rust Converting Metal Primer
Corroseal Rust Converting Metal Primer is an innovative product designed not to destroy rust but to convert it into a more stable substance called magnetite. This is achieved through a chemical conversion process that transforms iron oxide into magnetite, which helps you control and eliminate corrosion.
What’s more, Corroseal Rust Converting Metal Primer acts as a metal primer that creates a bonding surface for the paint and protects against oxidation. The product is easy to use and can be applied with the help of a brush, roll, or sprayer. It’s most effective against automotive, marine, industrial, and household rust.
Why It's Our Sixth Pick
1) Product Quality: Corroseal Rust Converting Metal Primer uses an effective, water-based, non-hazardous, and non-flammable formula that converts rust and prevents oxidation.
2) Presentation: The primer comes in a simple, sturdy, and well-designed bottle that keeps the product safely stored at all times.
3) Customer Feedback: With an overall rating of 4.6 and almost 2,800 global rankings, this product is another favorite among the customers.
4) Overall Value: A gallon of Corroseal Rust Converting Metal Primer can be purchased for $48.95, which is a great value for your money.
Rust Bullet Automotive Anti-Rust Paint
Rust Bullet Automotive Anti-Rust Paint is a powerful two-in-one car rust protection product that is formulated to destroy the existing rust and protect the surface against new rust. If applied to the corrosion-affected area, the product penetrates the rust and destroys it while at the same time forming a thick protective coating that is UV, scratch, and chemical resistant.
Rust Bullet Automotive Anti-Rust Paint requires little to no surface preparation and no topcoat. It’s a very user-friendly product and can be applied either via brush, roller, or spray.
Why It's Our Seventh Pick
1) Product Quality: Rust Bullet Automotive Anti-Rust Paint uses patented technology to provide great performance, protection, and durability.
2) Presentation: This DIY car rust protection product comes in a quality, modernly designed packaging and the label contains basic product information.
3) Customer Feedback: There are 522 customers who left their feedback, as well as many positive reviews (some even include images). The product ranking is 4.6.
4) Overall Value: The price varies depending on the volume you choose (8 options available) - the lowest price is $10.31 for a ¼ pint, whereas the 5-gallons offer is the most expensive and costs $749.99. All in all, this anti-rust product is worth checking out.
3M Professional Grade Rubberized Undercoating
3M Professional Grade Rubberized Undercoating is a black multipurpose undercoating that protects the vehicle’s underside from rust, corrosion, weathering, and chipping. It is applicable to the underside of cars, recreational vehicles, trucks, and vans. In addition, this rust prevention product can be used to protect the underside of the hood and trunk, quarter panels, floor pans, wheel wells, interior sides of fenders, door skins, and so on.
What’s more, 3M Professional Grade Rubberized Undercoating has excellent soundproofing properties that reduce road noise. It is convenient to use and very easy to apply, which makes it a great DIY solution.
Why It's Our Eighth Pick
1) Product Quality: 3M Professional Grade Rubberized Undercoating uses an effective formula that prevents running and dripping of the product, ensures great corrosion protection, and has impressive soundproof properties.
2) Presentation: The product bottle has a contemporary design and uses bold red color to create contrast. The dispenser helps direct the spray and thus facilitates the application process.
3) Customer Feedback: The product has 220 global rankings with an average score of 4.6. The majority of customers are very satisfied with this undercoating.
4) Overall Value: A 16 oz bottle of 3M Professional Grade Rubberized Undercoating is $50.39, which does seem a bit expensive.
CRC Heavy Duty Corrosion Inhibitor
CRC Heavy Duty Corrosion Inhibitor is a marine grade rust inhibitor developed specifically to protect surfaces exposed to water, salt, and very humid environments. When applied, this product fills in all the cracks and imperfections and creates a strong but flexible coating that sticks to the surface and provides long-lasting protection against corrosion.
CRC Heavy Duty Corrosion Inhibitor can be applied to all types of metal surfaces, as well as engine components, fasteners, steering and throttle linkages, and electrical connections. It provides an even coating if applied properly.
Why It's Our Ninth Pick
1) Product Quality: CRC Heavy Duty Corrosion Inhibitor uses high-quality ingredients and the latest technologies to prevent rust formation and create durable protection.
2) Presentation: The product bottle is of a distinctive blue color and it is designed to keep the product safely stored and prevent any spillage from happening.
3) Customer Feedback: With a little over 600 global ratings and an overall score of 4.7, no wonder this product made it to our list.
4) Overall Value: With the price of $15.10 for a 10 oz bottle, CRC Heavy Duty Corrosion Inhibitor is a fairly priced product that definitely has a lot to offer.
Rust-Oleum Automotive Rust Reformer Spray
Rust-Oleum Automotive Rust Reformer Spray is another product on our list engineered to convert rust into a smooth, paintable, black surface instead of removing it. Such an approach to stopping rust on cars eliminates the need for sanding rust, which can save you a lot of time and effort. Furthermore, this car rust protection product prevents future problems caused by oxidation and corrosion.
Rust-Oleum Automotive Rust Reformer Spray is designed to be user-friendly and easy to apply and it’s a great product to use whenever you have a rusty metal surface that is in need of saving.
Why It's Our Tenth Pick
1) Product Quality: Rust-Oleum Automotive Rust Reformer Spray is a quality product that is characterized by high efficiency, great performance, excellent protection, and impressive longevity.
2) Presentation: The product comes in a sturdy packaging made out of quality materials. Thanks to its design, the product can be sprayed at any angle, which makes even those hard-to-reach areas approachable.
3) Customer Feedback: So far, over 3,000 customers have left their feedback and the product ranks 4.6 out of 5.
4) Overall Value: The price of $6.27 for a 10.25 oz bottle makes Rust-Oleum Automotive Rust Reformer Spray a very cost-effective solution.
Considering all the advantages, a quality car rust protection solution is a car care essential that each vehicle owner needs in their arsenal. It will certainly save you a lot of money and ensure your car is well-maintained and working properly at all times. Our Buyer’s Guide lists only the most reliable products on the market, so no matter which one you choose, you’ll surely get your money’s worth.